[R-SIG-Finance] rolling window

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jul 19 15:31:06 CEST 2007

As a follow-up to Gabor's comment. A more elaborate illustration might be
a rolling regression, e.g.,

  ## set up multivariate zoo series with
  ## number of UK driver deaths and lags 1 and 12
  seat <- as.zoo(log(UKDriverDeaths))
  time(seat) <- as.yearmon(time(seat))
  seat <- merge(y = seat, y1 = lag(seat, k = -1),
    y12 = lag(seat, k = -12), all = FALSE)

  ## run a rolling regression with a 3-year time window
  ## (similar to a SARIMA(1,0,0)(1,0,0)_12 fitted by OLS)
  fm <- rollapply(seat, width = 36,
    FUN = function(z) coef(lm(y ~ y1 + y12, data = as.data.frame(z))),
    by.column = FALSE, align = "right")

  ## plot the changes in coefficients
  plot(fm)
  ## showing the shifts after the oil crisis in Oct 1973
  ## and after the seatbelt legislation change in Jan 1983

Maybe we should add such an example to the rollaply() man page?

Best,

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> On 7/19/07, Jordi Molins <jordi.molins.coronado at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to do a rolling window calculation for multivariate data. In other
> > words: rollFun in fMultivar makes univariate calculations, ie, given for
> > example mydata[1:5], mydata[2:6],
 I get one number (the function applied