[R-SIG-Finance] New to R . .

Joshua Reich josh at gghc.com
Tue Jul 3 14:52:48 CEST 2007

Although I have been using R for a while, "Econometrics in R" gave me
the best introduction to the language, especially in terms of learning
how to group, select and sort data. See
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Farnsworth-EconometricsInR.pdf -
section 2.1 in particular for selecting specific rows or columns from a
matrix (e.g., wealth[wealth$year==1980,]). From there, the various
'apply' functions can be used to perform custom aggregations on your
selections.

Josh