[R-SIG-Finance] R / Risk measurement and the problem of data

ngottlieb at marinercapital.com ngottlieb at marinercapital.com
Wed Jun 20 16:20:05 CEST 2007

The issue to your questions is:

1- What type of instruments do you trade?
2- In terms of risk management are you looking to:
   a) Track a benchmark and weight positions according (Portfolio Optimization).
   B) Look at attribution by industries, sectors, primary factors as interest rates, etc(Style Analysis)?
   C) Stress test your positions?

R can provide a lot of the analytics you need. The data is another issue.

Yes Bloomberg is very helpful but expensive (approx $14K per year per seat).

Barra now owned by Morgan Stanley is more equity focused but has been
Doing some fixed instrument support.

Depending on answers to above questions, suggest as alternative to Barra
Look at Northfield Information Systems (think the site is http://www.northinfo.com)
They offer some fine risk analytics, the data needed and software.

Last, one of the some of the most difficult instruments to model and get data on
Are Credit Default Swaps (look at http://www.markit.com).

Interest Rate Swaps are also difficult to model and get data on. Might try looking
At http://www.tradeweb.com

Last, if you want to maintain your own Security Master you will obviously
Need a Database Product such as SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase.

And one of your best sources to find needed products for data sources, applications is check out
Bob's Guide (http://www.bobsguide.com/).

You are definitely looking at mid to high 6 figure budget for a good
Risk reporting system, not including, developers.

Hope this helps...
Neil