[R-SIG-Finance] coskew/cokurtosis test

Joe Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Mon Feb 19 19:13:55 CET 2007

Brian,

I probably should clarify my view of co-skew and co-kurt.  I view these
in multivariate distribution setting.  I googled "multivariate skewness"
and get 11,000 hits with the first 20-30 providing good references.
Several reference a paper from 1970 that defines Mult-skew as

or

I am still reviewing these.

The references for co-skew and co-kurt that I can find and I think you
are trying to implement view these as the skew beta and kurt beta in the
higher moment CAPM, which would be the multi-skew and multi-kurt
measures scaled by the market variance.

In my example, I use the covariance of all assets to scale your co-skew
function results to get the multi-variate skewness measures.  I am going
to test my quick and dirty calculation against the above formulas to
validity.

Hope this helps
Joe