[R-SIG-Finance] recommended C++ compiler for R package ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Feb 16 17:24:45 CET 2007

On 16 February 2007 at 08:02, michael mathews wrote:
| On windows I would recommend Visual C++ 2005
| Is mostly standards complient has a decent IDE and you can get the
| express edition for free here
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

Maybe I am missing something but the question was 'C++ compiler for R
package' and last I checked, only gcc/g++ were officially supported.

Being able to use Visual C++ could be beneficial for external libraries etc.
AFAIK it has been possible with some elbow-grease. Eg Dominick has a short
tutorial in his RcppTemplate package on CRAN.

However, I could not get that to work in a slighly more complex example (with
several in-house and third-party libraries). Things worked with g++ on a
stricter subset of libraries.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison