[R-SIG-Finance] NERC holiday calendar

Joe W. Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Sun Feb 11 01:10:30 CET 2007

Spencer, Diethelm, and rmetrics followers,

I have created a calendar function to build out the NERC holidays for
power prices.  NERC: North American Reliability Council.  I started this
because I needed a NYMEX calendar as the text at the bottom explains,
but I am still waiting on NYMEX to reply on my questions.

The NERC holiday function is based on teh holidayNYSE function from
rmetrics and the NERC website rules found at
http://www.nerc.com/~oc/offpeaks.html

I would appreciate any help in verifying this function.  It returns the
correct holidays as shown on their website.  I am not sure if the
historical holidays are correct, especially prior to 1971 when Memorial
day was on 5/30.  I have sent the NERC contact an email with this question.

I did add a new argument to the function for the FinCenter of the
timedate class because NERC covers all North America.  User will want to
set this to the FinCenter appropriate for their use (Chicago,
Pacific,...).  It would be cool to add NERC regions to the timedate zone
or fincenter lists, but this is another discussion.

I would be honored if rmetrics would consider adding this function to
the fCalendar package.

The function is:
#North American Energy Reliabibity Council Holidays calendar
# for determining days when the 16 hour on peak hours of a day
# for the region are recognized as off peak hours.
holidayNERC<-function (year = currentYear,FinCenter = "Eastern")
{
    holidays = NULL
    for (y in year) {
        if (y >= 1885)
            holidays = c(holidays, as.character(USNewYearsDay(y)))
        if (y >= 1885)
            holidays = c(holidays, as.character(USIndependenceDay(y)))
        if (y >= 1885)
            holidays = c(holidays, as.character(USThanksgivingDay(y)))
        if (y >= 1885)
            holidays = c(holidays, as.character(USChristmasDay(y)))
        if (y >= 1887)
            holidays = c(holidays, as.character(USLaborDay(y)))
        if (y <= 1970)
            holidays = c(holidays,
as.character(USDecorationMemorialDay(y)))
        if (y >= 1971)
            holidays = c(holidays, as.character(USMemorialDay(y)))
    }
    holidays = sort(holidays)
    ans = timeDate(holidays)
    ans = ans + as.integer(as.POSIXlt(ans at Data)$wday == 0) *
    posix = as.POSIXlt(ans at Data)
    y = posix$year + 1900
    m = posix$mon + 1
    lastday = as.POSIXlt((timeCalendar(y = y + (m + 1)%/%13,
        m = m + 1 - (m + 1)%/%13 * 12, d = 1) - 24 * 3600)@Data)$mday
    ExceptOnLastFriday = timeDate(as.character(.last.of.nday(year = y,
        month = m, lastday = lastday, nday = 5)))
    ans = ans - as.integer(ans >= timeDate("1959-07-03") &
as.POSIXlt(ans at Data)$wday ==
        0 & ans != ExceptOnLastFriday) * 24 * 3600
    ans = ans[!(as.POSIXlt(ans at Data)$wday == 0 |
as.POSIXlt(ans at Data)$wday ==
        6)]
    ans at FinCenter = FinCenter
    ans