[R-SIG-Finance] displaying a traditional stock chart

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Feb 10 02:23:45 CET 2007

On 9 February 2007 at 16:51, Armstrong, Whit wrote:
| looks like a nice chart, but one of the key features missing from R is
| interactive charts.
|
| simple things like mouse tracking, zoom, line annotations, etc.

Try the various Java devices at www.rosuda.org, or now rforge.net. A lot of
that was already in the latest Quantian, and it has also gotten easier on
Debian / Ubuntu thanks to the packages Sun Java and R's new R CMD reconfjava.

Just to see how painful it would be to do, I also added mouse tracking to
something with R's tcltk a few years ago. But I'm no gui hacker so...

| This would be huge to have in R.
|
| Anyone have an idea how hard this would be?

Somewhat, as we know, as the base R graphics are static. But with Java you
can do some tricks. I also hope that svg device will help for zooming etc.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison