[R-SIG-Finance] Fan charts in "vars" package

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at R-project.org
Wed Jan 17 18:12:06 CET 2007

Dear Finance SIG,

I'm forwarding this mail from Philip Wagner about fan charts.

(Philip, the Finance SIG (special interest group) is the appropriate
list for asking questions related to econometric/financial problems.
For subscription, see
If a question is about a contributed package, it is good practice to
have the package author (in this case Bernhard Pfaff) in Cc.)

And now the question...

Hello,

I work as a macroeconomist, and I´m trying to do add some fan charts to
my porjections. I would please like to know if someone could help me
out. I´m specifically having trouble with the fan charts in the "var"
package. I would please like to know how I can fix a "mean" or "medium"
in the predict( ) function for the VAR estimation. So that, in the fan
chart ,the center of the projection would be the "medium" I had
previously fixed. If you have the answer for my question or just know
some book I could read that could help me out, I would be very please.

With best regards,
Philip P. Wagner
Unibanco Macroeconomic Research
Fone: (55 11) 3584 4675