[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] rMetrics

genx info at genetrix.se
Tue Jan 9 18:30:07 CET 2007

Thank you for your help Martin, the code runs but it doesnt feel correct
to apply a hack to make R/rMetrics to run on my ordinary WinXP system.
What is really puzzling me is that many of the examples and code found in
the help files and also in the supplied PDF files does not run or does just
run partly.

Is R & rMetrics really worth the effort for a non-hacker as me? What I
want is an easy way to do simulations on volatility (garch) , calculate l
og-returns, betas on portfolios , some option valuation (greeks) and
thats it.

It seems to be a problem with locales. Yahoo returns US-month-names, but
the corresponding code fragment in Rmetrics seems to use the current
system locale for date conversion, and thus it may fail to convert the
rownames to dates (for some months, resulting in NAs). Setting LC_TIME
(temporarily) to US provides a quick fix.
[I am not sure, but maybe altering LC_TIME temporarily could be done by
Rmetrics?]

See below for the (inserted) commands.

Kind regards,
  Martin Becker