[R-SIG-Finance] R-SIG-Finance Digest - Yield Curve Modeling

Micha Keijzers micha.keijzers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 14:37:10 CET 2006

2006/11/20, Kevin Ramoutar <kevinramoutar at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hello Ryan,
>
> Thanks for the help. But there is one problem. We do not have a swap market
> or derivatives market here in Trinidad. What then do I do?
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

[I don't know if it is correct in this group to not top-post. And
also, this topic is not R-specific anymore. But anyway, here (as well
as Ryan) goes also my first post to this list...]

What you might do is look for another swap market that closely
resembles a virtual swap rate in Trinidad. Do "Trinidad swap rates" in
some way follow neighbouring country's swap rates? Is there a global
swap rate that governs Trinidad's? Anyway, look for a rate that
determines Trinidad's market fundamentals *as if there was a swap
market* and use that rate. Not sure if you can do much better than
that.

Basically, the idea of the above is probably what was already
mentioned below by Ryan. It could be that a Trinidad swap rate would
be governed by LIBOR-rates. In that case, use LIBOR-rates.

And by the way, for the short end of the curve, as you mentioned that
this is not a problem, there is a way to combine the short end of the
curve with the longer end of some other curve. This would inherently
give a discontinuity at the pasting point, but there's a way to get
around this. If you simply have a grid of collected swap rates (from
two different closely resembling sources) one could use a spline-based
method (cubic spline) or a Nelson-Siegel curve fit to obtain the total
yield curve.

Hope this helps, and if others have better ideas...

Kind regards,
Micha Keijzers