[R-SIG-Finance] use log return or quotient return?

John C. Frain frainj at tcd.ie
Fri Nov 17 14:32:15 CET 2006

Many markets use quotient returns or discounts.  Returns expressed in this way
are not consistent between markets.  Also aggregating over time is only
approximate.  For this reason empirical work would be better served if the
institutional rates were converted to log difference returns before analysis.

Even for macroeconometric analysis of various growth rates log differences are
more aligned with theory and are likely to give better results.  I would
recommend that, regardless of market practices, all serious empirical work on
returns be done in terms of log differences

John C. Frain.
Economics Department
Trinity College Dublin
Dublin 2