[R-SIG-Finance] Help with date arithmetic

Joe W. Byers Joe-Byers at utulsa.edu
Mon Oct 23 01:35:40 CEST 2006

Mark,

Not off base.  I do have a calendar that is only business days created
to set up a simulation.

I am working on a simulation of Natural gas prices that has spot,
balance of the month, and forward prices for each business day.  The
problem I am addressing is that NG spot and balmo trade on a business
day, but the commodity transfers title on the flow days, or one day
after the trade date for the spot.  The balmo contract is interesting
because it starts flowing on the next day after spot gas flows.
Business days are easy, spot flows one business day after the
transaction, and balmo flows 2 business days after the transaction.  But
on the last business day of a week, spot gas is traded for the next
three days, two non business and one business day (Sat-Mon).  So, balmo
does not start flowing till the following Tues or four days.  If there
is a holiday anywhere in here, it has to be handled to get balmo
correct.  Because spot and balmo have different flow start dates each
trading day, I have to calculate them instead of using the specified
contract month as with the NYMEX futures contracts.  The flow date for
spot and balmo is basically the same as a futures contract month here.
Another thing to remember with NYMEX NG 1 contract for next Jan is
10000MMBTU and it flow or in delivered in 1/31 of a contract increments
starting on Jan 1st.

Equities, fixed income, and others are easy.  Transaction days,
expiration days, settlement days all line up nice and neatly for
analysis.  Commodities not so, and carry charges can be significant
sometimes.  Commodities violate our wonderful Black-scholes world we
assume exists.

I maybe can use the calendar that I have created and select the first
business day greater than the trade date I have for the spot and also
the second for the balmo.  Still a loop, but I may be able to prebuild a
matrix for these contracts easier than the function I have.

So you are not off base.  You gave me another idea to try.

Thank you very much
Joe

Leeds, Mark (IED) wrote:
 > Joe : I'm just jumping in so excuse me if I'm totally off base. It seems
 > like youa re writing code to jump form one date to the next business
 > day.
 > I'm sure youa re clever and close tog etting it working but whren I do (
 > or did ) in the past to dela with this problem
 > Is just have a series out there that represents only business days. For
 > example, if you pull ibm's data from
 > Yahoo or wherever, it is only
 > Going to come back with business dzy dates.
 >
 > If you need to do the same thing for japan, pull "toyota" from somewhere
 > ( maybe yahoo also ? ) and it will only come back with
 > business day dates for japan.  Anyway, this was always my easy solution
 > but you may have some reason why you can't do it hat way.
 > Your code is way beyond my level of knowledge of R so I can't help you
 > with it.

securities/instruments mentioned or an official confirmation.  Morgan
Stanley may deal as principal in or own or act as market maker for
securities/instruments mentioned or may advise the issuers.  This is not
research and is not from MS Research but it may refer to a research
analyst/research report.  Unless indicated, these views are the author's
and may differ from those of Morgan Stanley research or others in the
Firm.  We do not represent this is accurate or complete and we may not
update this.  Past performance is not indicative of future returns.  For
additional information, research reports and important disclosures,
contact me or see https://secure.ms.com/servlet/cls.  You should not use
e-mail to request, authorize or effect the purchase or sale of any
security or instrument, to send transfer instructions, or to effect any
other transactions.  We cannot guarantee that any such requests received
via e-mail will be processed in a timely manner.  This communication is
solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential information.
We do not waive confidentiality by mistransmission.  Contact me if you
do not wish to receive these communications.  In the UK, this
communication is directed in the UK to those persons who are market
counterparties or intermediate customers (as defined in the UK Financial
Services Authority's rules).