[R-SIG-Finance] Beginning R metrics

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Sep 11 03:05:26 CEST 2006

On 10 September 2006 at 16:49, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
| In fact, I was asking for a way to sync the examples in the User
| Guides with the packages themselves  -- what is the intended way to
| get the examples for fBasics shown in the fBasics.pdf in the sequence
| from the text?  I.e., in fBasics.pdf, on page 32, there's sample code
| -- I wonder how one would load/see it, if it's available?

For the particular case, I think we have to defer to Rmetrics author on
that. Looking at the sources of fBasics here, I see that it has a demo/
directory so that you have the demo() commands as well -- try those.

For the general case, one would have to invent a way to link documentation
and examples in a generic fashion.

Now, it turns out that R actually solved that for the particular case of
vignette() documentation.  For a given vignette foo, e.g. what you'd see by
issueing
	> vignette("foo")
where my favourite example is probably the vignette of the zoo package, you
also get code included in the vignette via
	> edit(vignette("foo"))

In other words, for my zoo example it is
	> library(zoo)			## load the library
	> vignette("zoo")		## display the pdf document
	> edit(vignette("zoo"))		## extracts and displays the code

Now, for your particular case of fBasics et al, you are out of luck.  Dr
Wuertz started the Rmetrics project way before R matured to the point that it
could support all of Rmetrics; luckily we are now at a point where R "can do"
Rmetrics.

However, Rmetrics' documentation precedes the vignette-style documentation
mechanism that was added to R in the last few years.  So I am afraid you're
back to doing the extraction the manual way. Sorry!

Hope this help,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison