[R-SIG-Finance] Beginning R metrics

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Sep 11 01:02:20 CEST 2006

On 10 September 2006 at 14:35, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
| Trying to follow the examples in User Guides, I've found a bit more
| step-by-step instruction is needed.  Apparently, xmp* functions load
| with fBasics package.   However, trying to load them with xmpfBasics()
| menu shows the menu which is not self-explanatory -- a mapping to the
| User Guide is desirable.
|
| Generally, a concise list of actions would be very helpful -- starting
| with "install *these* packages from CRAN" -- exactly which ones and
| how -- then, a HOWTO on following the Guides.  A way to list/check the
| list of examples would help.

Well, R itself comes with six manuals; to learn R you could consider the
introductory manual, FAQ, etc.  As for Rmetrics, it also comes with a rather
extensive and unparallel set of manuals for each module.

And consider that almost every function is documented with examples, so try
	> help("xmpFoo")
	> example("xmpFoo")
for whichever function xmpFoo you are interested.

Lastly, all of R is written by volunteer contributors. So with all due
respect, if you consider something is missing, maybe a good way to fix it
would be to draft such a helpful document and to place on a website somewhere
with requests for comments.

Regards,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison