[R-SIG-Finance] Risk management research simulation questions

Joe Byers joe-byers at utulsa.edu
Mon Aug 28 19:37:36 CEST 2006

I want to simulate hypothetical assets so I can control all aspects of
the tests, from parameters to correlations across assets.  I can
construct correlations based on minimum variance hedge ratios that will
allow me to create hedge portfolios with higher weights on some assets
than others.  This way I can also look at hedging aspects within the VAR
calculation and the problems with violating the models assumptions.

I have used garchsim and armasim, but as I understand their
implementation, I am simulating the independent process, not a
correlated process.

Including the modified cornish VAR is a really good idea as a benchmark
case as well.

thanks for that suggestion, if nothing else you are entitled to a
footnote for it.

Thanx
Joe