[R-SIG-Finance] mean-(scalar) portfolio optimization

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Thu Aug 24 16:01:04 CEST 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 05:38, Patrick Burns wrote:
> If you are serious about portfolio optimization, then
> you need to confront integer constraints such as a
> maximum number of assets to trade and a maximum
> number of assets in the portfolio.  The "nice" optimization
> algorithms are going to fail in this case.

I understand that completely unconstrained optimization approaches are
dangerous because of local minima and other problems.  All the papers
that I've referenced use some constraints, at least on the weighting
vector, and often on number of instruments.

I'm working in a pretty contrained universe already. I'll never have
several thousand instruments in a portfolio, for example. The application
that I'm looking for is for a strategic asset allocation (for example in
a portfolio of funds, or in a sector or industry portfolio), rebalanced
relatively infrequently, so some of the constraints that you mention
would have been implied by my universe.  I use different approaches for
frequent trading or tactical allocation.

I've consolidated the references below in GNU format, as I think it will
make it easier for others to find and discuss these useful papers.

So, back to the goals of my original post, how best to solve the
constrained mean-(scalar) portfolio optimization problem in R...

In general, they all fall into a class of problems that may be simply
stated:

  let w' be the desired portfolio weights
  let R be a set of returns for various instruments

 solve for a weighting vector w such that risk is minimized

  w' = min(risk(R))

 solve for a weighting vector w such that return is maximized over
 risk budget rb

 w'=max(mean(R)) such that risk(R) < rb

and other similar formulations. The details on all these a[proaches are of
course more complicated, and what we're trying to get...

It does not look like simple quadratic methods are appropriate for a
solution using a scalar measure of risk.  So, solve.QP is out.  If anyone
disagrees with this, I'd love to talk about it.

'optim' may be appropriate, if we have a good way of estimating the
gradient, and if it can allow for reasonable constraints.  Rodriguez(5)
discusses methods of estimating the gradient, and 'constrOptim' may be
able to constrain the space appropriately, I don't have any opinion on
whether this is a workable approach, community input solicited.

Gilli(1) recommends a constrained brute force approach to estimating.
Since I am not completely familiar with this paper, having not really
evaluated brute force methods, I'm not sure what the best approach in R
would be. I think that one could use 'nlm' or 'constrOptim' to model an
approach similar to the one Gilli proposes, but input from Patrick or
anyone else who has tried to implement Gilli would be appreciated.

Martellini(4) and Rockinger(2) solve a four-moment CAPM using a
differentiable series of linear equations.  So, I believe that a
'simplex' or 'glm' or 'gls' approach could be used to go down that path.

Ma(3) approaches the problem from a Quantile Regression angle.  I think
that this approach is quite promising, and could be solved for in R using
'quantreg'.

I believe that all of these approaches have theoretical merit.  Like any
approach, they all have drawbacks and limitations.

I'd like to avoid spending a bunch of trial and error time implementing
each of these methods in turn.  Some pointers specifically on
implementation approaches in R would be vastly appreciated. Thoughts from
anyone else who has implemented portfolio optimization in R would be very
valuable. I'll continue to share what I come up with.

Regards,

   - Brian

Ref:
(1)
Gilli, M., et. al., "A Data-Driven Optimization Heuristic for Downside
Risk Minimization" . Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper No. 06-2
Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=910233

(2)
Jondeau, E. and Rockinger, M.," Optimal Portfolio Allocation Under Higher
Moments" Bank of France, 2004 Available at:
http://www.banque-france.fr/gb/publications/ner/1-108.htm

(3)
Ma, L. and Pohlman, L. "Return Forecasts and Optimal Portfolio
Construction: A Quantile Regression Approach" Available at:
http://www.fma.org/Chicago/Papers/equityQR2.pdf

(4)
Martellini, Vaissié, and Ziemann "Investing in Hedge Funds: Adding Value
through Active Style Allocation Decisions" EDHEC 2005. Available at:
http://www.edhec-risk.com/site_edhecrisk/public/features/RISKReview.2005-12-19.1651

(5)
Rodriguez, G. ,"Portfolio Optimization w/ Quantile-based Risk Measures",
MIT, 1999. Available at http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/lemus99portfolio.html

Earlier thread: