[R-sig-Finance] S-PLUS (binary code?) to R ...

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jul 25 04:23:49 CEST 2006

On 24 July 2006 at 09:06, Thomas Harte wrote:
| as a quick follow-on, but on a different subject, how does one convert S-PLUS code in the format that Wolfgang Breymann's  HFfinance
| package is stored (looks like "S V4" format which is in binary...don't ask me i have no experience with S-PLUS, only R) to R? e.g.
|
| tharte at quantzone:~/downloads/hfFinance-1.0-beta4/.Data$ od -c pCondSum | head -3
| 0000000  \0   S       V   4   -   M 003  \t  \0  \0  \0   f   u   n   c
| 0000020   t   i   o   n  \0  \0  \0  \0   - 001  \0  \0 005  \0  \0  \0
| 0000040   3  \0  \0  \0   m   i   s   s   i   n   g  \0   m   i   s   s

Hm, looks like you will need to write a parser for that.

| according to
|
|  http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/00b/1903.html
|
| at some point Brian Ripley had a package called Rstreams, but this seems to have disappeared from CRAN.
|
| any ideas?

AFAICT Rstreams refers to the stream conncections that are part of R
itself. Way back when these may have been an additional package.

Can you export in ascii from Breymann's library and then re-import? If so, it
would presumably be easier to use and debug and a lot faster to write.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison