[R-sig-Finance] Backtesting speed

Adrian Trapletti a.trapletti at swissonline.ch
Mon Jul 3 13:27:34 CEST 2006

The companies I (used to) work for use intraday data, sometimes
tick-by-tick data, to backtest trading strategies. In that case  speed
is a very important issue and interpreted language environments like R
are slow in comparison to compiled language environments like C/C++.
Generic environment for quant trading might look like the following:
time critical computations like backtesting and realtime computing in
C/C++, client/server, GUI etc. in Java, and statistical analysis and
diagnostics, prototyping etc. in Matlab or R or similar.

Regards
Adrian