[R-sig-finance] using yahoo and other data to calculate CAPM and FF betas

Andrew West jgalt70 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 16:49:01 CEST 2006

Incidentally, one of the functions I attached,
getrffBeta, uses the robust package WLE to calculate
3-factor coefficients. Even if one believes the return
differentials accruing to value-growth and
largecap-smallcap spreads are an anomaly erased
through robust statistics, that does not mean that one
could not include those factors to get a better
calculation of true market beta, does it? You could
take the 3-factor regression output, assign zero
premiums to size and value factors, and use the market
beta that has already controlled for size and value
effects, right?

For most of the companies I've looked at, the AIC on 3
factor models are a lot higher than CAPM models. You
can see it for yourself graphically by running the
getrffBeta function on various stocks. For example,
using CAPM, some of the dramatic swings in the beta of
low-tech stocks (falling dramatically during the
internet surge) may have been more due to value-growth
return trends than a true change in market beta. The 3
factor model thus seems to result in more stable
market beta estimates than the CAPM model.

Regards,
Andrew