[R-sig-finance] [R] Bloomberg Data Import to R

Robert Sams Robert at sanctumfi.com
Mon Feb 13 17:20:15 CET 2006

My package RBloomberg (v0.1-7) is now on CRAN.

RBloomberg can make the following types of data requests to the Bloomberg:
	1. real-time snapshots
	2. historical end-of-day
	3. historical intraday bars
	4. historical intraday tick-by-tick
All calls are made via a single user function blpGetData. For example:
	conn <- blpConnect(iface="COM")
	## Historical
	blpGetData(conn, "ED1 Comdty", "PX_LAST", start=chron("1/1/06"), end=chron("1/31/06"))
	## Intraday bars (10min intervals)
	blpGetData(conn, "ED1 Comdty", c("BID","ASK"), start=chron("1/31/06", times="16:00:00"),
	end=chron("1/31/06", times="17:00:00"), barfields="OPEN", barsize=10)

The design goal is an intuitive R user interface that is abstracted from the details of the particular Bloomberg interface used. Bloomberg presently offers three interfaces: C, .NET and COM. All three are implemented as a desktop product and (since late 2005) a server product that now supports Linux on Intel hardware. blpGetData is a generic and a method will eventually exist for each Bloomberg interface. Currently, only the desktop COM interface is supported.

Please use it, hack it and give me your feedback.

Cheers,
Robert