[R-sig-finance] Puzzled in arch estimation

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Dec 30 04:19:16 CET 2005

	  Have you received a reply to this post?  I haven't seen one.

	  I ran the script you included with your post.  For the garch(1,1)
model, I got an answer with a message "FALSE CONVERGENCE".  For the
arch(1,0) model, I got a message, "Warning: singular information" with
parameter estimates that raise questions in my mind about what the
algorithm did.  You say the first one "Seems to be okay",  but the
second one "breaks."  What do you mean by "breaks"?

	  I also did 'RSiteSearch("garch")'.  This revealed that the fSeries
package also has a garch modeling function.  Have you looked at that?
I'm sorry, but I've done very little with garch, and I don't have the
time now to study it more deeply.

	  If you'd like more help from this listserve, PLEASE do read the
posting guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  Anecdotal
evidence suggests that posts more consistent with this guide tend to get
more useful replies quicker.

	  hope this helps.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.2.0, 2005-10-06, i386-pc-mingw32

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
  tseries      zoo quadprog
"0.10-0"  "1.0-3"  "1.4-7"