[R-sig-finance] Backtest trading strategies

Steve Miller steve.miller at jhu.edu
Mon Nov 28 15:27:21 CET 2005

My company delivers broad business intelligence solutions on foundations of
data warehouses and marts that grow to hundreds of gigabytes. It is
therefore critical that we optimize data storage and the ETL -- extract,
transform, and load -- processes for very large data. Our minimal open
source analytics solution consists of: MySql/Postgres (or Oracle, et. al. if
standard) repositories that house the sourcing data, assuring one version of
the truth; Perl/Python for "munging" potentially very large, complicated,
and messy input files, consolidating data across disparate sources,
performing array and date calculations on millions of records,
inserting/updating the databases, reporting, and sourcing data sets for
input to analytics; and R for graphics, statistics, and analytical
calculations. While R is a very powerful and rich language, we do not see
its strength in parsing ugly and error-prone data files, nor do we find its
interpreted speed adequate for very large data management. Once the data
stores are built and validated, we turn them over to users of R and other BI
tools such as Pentaho. We are very encouraged by both the acceptance of this
approach and R that we're starting to experience in the commercial world.

Steve Miller