[R-sig-finance] bayesian signal classifier

Krishna Kumar kriskumar at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 28 02:21:14 CET 2005

Assume you have two decisions to make buy or sell. Then if you assume
the classifications errors have the same cost (this  can be
modified suitably for cost) then a naive bayes classifier that minimizes
the error rate is simply

prior * likelihood

So assuming that you have a prior computed in-sample from the timeseries
you compute for each date the posterior decision buy or sell based
on the returns+ the signals (i.e. the feature vector).

Date            Returns        signal 1           signal 2            ...
01/01/1990
02/01/1990  return2       buy               sell         ..........
03/01/1990  return3       buy               buy         ..............
.
.

I am sure there are folks on this list who can throw more light on this
R has a lot of classification related machinery that can be put to use
that will do better than this Bayes classifier. You may want to refer to
these two books.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0122698517/kriskumar-20/104-8074544-7680720
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471056693/kriskumar-20/104-8074544-7680720

And finally the V&R yellow book describes some of the classifiers that
are available in MASS.

Kris