[R-sig-finance] Random Numbers

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Fri Nov 18 21:42:49 CET 2005

I think there are several problems with the resampled
efficient frontier, here is one: The procedure as I understand
it is to bootstrap the mean of the historical returns.  What
should be bootstrapped is the alpha generation process.
One hopes that there are few fund managers who use the
historical mean as their expected return.  Bootstrapping the
actual alpha generation process is likely to be non-trivial.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com