[R-sig-finance] Status Rmetrics - New Version

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 13 20:02:03 CEST 2005

Hi Diethelm,

Thanks for the status update -- much appreciated.

On 13 October 2005 at 15:49, Diethelm Wuertz wrote:
|     Problems to be solved with Rmetrics for R-2.2.0
|
|     I'm aware of the following problems which will be very
|     likely be patched for the Rmetrics Version for R 2.2.0
|
|     1.  Changing the compiler from g77 to gfortran
|         under Linux created some severe problems and errors.
|         STATUS: already solved, fixed with next Rmetrics Version

As far as I know (which may not mean much as I don;t follow compiler issues
all that closely) that GCC upstream does not yet recommend to use gfortran.
I think Brian Ripley stated about the same on one of the R lists.

As another data point, Debian switched its default compiler to gcc 4.0.* for
every language but Fortran where g77 from gcc 3.4.* is still used (and 3.4
and 4.0 are said to produce interchangeable object code).

So it may be too soon to start fixing wholesale for gfortran. Just my $0.02.

The rest looks good -- looking forward to the next Rmetrics release!

Regards, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'