[R-sig-finance] Monte Carlo and Portfolio Optimization

con.keating@financedevelopmentcentre.com con.keating at financedevelopmentcentre.com
Mon Oct 10 14:28:29 CEST 2005

Silvia

 From memory, The Chopra and Ziemba (1993) results were that errors in
means were
approximately 8 x as important as errors in standard deviation which
were 4 x as
important as errors in the correlation matrix.

There ia also a criticism of the Michaud resampling method by Cam
Harvey at Duke
where he shows that it is strictly sub-optimal.

Given anyway that most returns are pretty far from Normal in the multivariate
setting if not the univariate, I wonder how accurate anyone can hope to
be in a
mean-variance framework-I was recently working with an equity index problem
where correlations were of the order of 0.75 (quarterly data) at which levels
concentration should be expected.

Hannu's suggestions seem worth investigating.

Con Keating