[R-sig-finance] Set time zone environment variable to "GMT"?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Aug 5 19:30:33 CEST 2005

Spencer Graves <spencer.graves <at> pdf.com> writes:

> 	  How does one "set the time zone environment variable to 'GMT'" under
> Windows XP?  The fCalendar documentation says repeatedly that this is
> required, but Brian Ripley said it's impossible
> (http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/47054.html).

One way is via
   My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables
where you get to pick between User and System variables.

I tend to launch reasonable applications such as R from a bash shell in
a Cygwin rxvt window.  In that case it works as it does on Unix/Linux:

~> echo 'print(Sys.getenv("TZ"))' | Rterm --slave
TZ
""

~> export TZ="GMT"
~> echo 'print(Sys.getenv("TZ"))' | Rterm --slave
   TZ
"GMT"

Hth, Dirk