[R-sig-finance] help: reference & book

Weiwei Shi helprhelp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:18:48 CEST 2005

Here you go:

<start>
Your question is kind of broad, but two books I like are "Statistical
Analysis of Financial Data in S-Plus" by Rene A. Carmona (Springer)
and "Modeling Financial Time Series With S-Plus" by Eric Zivot and
Jiahue Wang.  The last one is an Insightful publication and is
basically the user's guide for their S+Finmetrics product, but even
w/o Finmetrics its a worthwhile read.

HTH,

Roger

The book  depends on your model. for example , if you are interested
in modelling technical analysis you can refer to this book:

Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to
Trading Methods and Applications
by John J. Murphy

Technical Analysis of Stock Trends, 8th Edition
by Robert D. Edwards, John Magee, W. H. C. Bassetti (Editor)

if you are interested in fundamental analysis you could refer to this one:
A Complete Guide to the Futures Markets : Fundamental Analysis,
Technical Analysis, Trading, Spreads, and Options
by Jack D. Schwager

 if you are interested in agent based models you could refer to for
example Santa Fe models in this page:
http://ideas.repec.org/p/bfe/wpsbfi/wpa2004.html

Amir

What kind of model is that? If you want to measure its volatility, maybe
you should try Engle's "ARCH selected readings" and in addition to that
documentation of rmetrics available at rmetrics.org.

Best regards,
Wojtek

For a good non-R specific book, I always recommend Carol Alexander's
"Market Models: A Guide to Financial Data Analysis", John Wiley &
Sons. It's much better than the two R-specific ones *if you're new to
the topic*.

Enrique

<end>

--