[R-sig-finance] Yet another question on Bloomberg...

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Tue May 3 18:35:49 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 08:31:05PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 2 May 2005 at 08:55, David Kane wrote:
> | Dirk Eddelbuettel writes:
> |  > Just use Bloomberg from Excel, and figure out a way to automate that. There
> |  > are numerous options via VBA, VB, Perl, Python or R itself using the two COM
> |  > binding kits.
> |
> | This is off topic, but does anyone know of a good overview of
> | these sorts of issues? I am especially interested in ways of
> | automating Bloomberg downloads from Excel using Perl. Any pointers
>
> When I did that a few years ago, I started from the working examples in the
> ActiveState Perl documentation.

No idea whether it's better/worse for Windows COM stuff than Perl or
Python, but Tcl seems to have quite good support on Windows, including
very nice support for multi-threading if you need that.  Besides just
running the same sorts of scripts I might run on Unix, I've used it to
fool with the Windows Registry.  And if what's in ActiveTcl isn't
enough, TWAPI includes a bunch of handy-looking Windows specific
stuff:

  http://twapi.sourceforge.net/
  http://wiki.tcl.tk/9886
  http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/

According to the Tcl'ers Wiki, tcom (in ActiveTcl) and optcl both
provide COM support, but I know nothing about that:

  http://wiki.tcl.tk/1855
  http://wiki.tcl.tk/1884

And some more misc. Tcl on Windows links:

  http://wiki.tcl.tk/1008
  http://wiki.tcl.tk/1145

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>