[R-sig-finance] R vs. S-PLUS vs. SAS

Muller, John john.muller at bankofamerica.com
Fri Dec 3 16:42:44 CET 2004

I have a question related to the discussion of R versus S-Plus versus
SAS
regarding handling large data sets.

I too have often heard that SAS is better with large data sets
but never sure whether "better" meant that the others had hard
limits on data set size or simply that SAS is faster.

Any insight into this from the group?

For example, does SAS use special algorithms (e.g. regression,
clustering,
tree construction) that do not require all the data in RAM
OR does SAS do very clever sampling OR ...?

I think SAS's Enterprise Miner does sampling by default.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

- john muller
John H. Muller
mailto:john.muller at bankofamerica.com