[R-sig-finance] R vs. S-PLUS

Gary Cable gcable at insightful.com
Tue Nov 30 19:55:25 CET 2004

Hi David,

Don't want to start a "flame war" either...

Just a couple of points to clear the air and provide an update to your
information since 2001...

Insightful bought the rights to S in January 2004.

The comments regarding R as being primarily academic are quotes from the
RMETRICS web site. When I worked for UBS, we used freeware, spreadsheets and
S-PLUS (which was then still owned by Lucent). While we had large sums
exposed to the use of these tools, I am only stating my preference for
commercially supported products. I understand that a number of groups have
been using R for commercial purposes; I am simply saying that I believe that
Insightful may offer a better alternative in the long run.

There have been and will continue to be many improvements to S-PLUS and
Insightful products, support and documentation since 2001 -- including
several books and numerous contributions by Eric Zivot, Doug Martin,
Alexander McNeil, Rene Carmona, Mark Salmon... and the list goes on.

My interest is primarily in promoting what I think is a fine set of products
from a committed organization, and it is not my interest to detract from R,
but to point out what I believe are compelling reasons to use S-PLUS,
S+FinMetrics, S+NUOPT and the rest of our products for commercial solutions.

Regards,

Gary Cable