[R-sig-finance] R vs. S-PLUS

My Newletters Etc. MySubs at 3wplace.com
Tue Nov 30 16:50:11 CET 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:47:12 -0500, David Kane <dave at kanecap.com> wrote:

> Yasser El-Zein writes:
>  > I am at a cross-road where I have to make a decision of going with R
>  > or S-PLUS. I am mainly interested in S+'s finmetrics library or R's
>  > Rmetrics. Can you please help me out by stating, out of experience,
>  > the pros and cons of each?
>
> Alas, I have never used finmetrics and have only touched on Rmetrics,
> but I have used R in a production environment in the financial world
> for 3+ years. There is no doubt in my mind that, for serious
> statistical/computational work in finance, R is the best choice.
>
> In terms of specific pros/cons, I would highlight the trajectory of R
> over the last few years compared to the (much lower) trajectory of
> S+. If R improves half as much (relative to S+) in the next 3 years as
> it has over the last 3, the comparison between the two won't even be
> worth discussing.
>
> If you don't go with R now, you will someday.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> David Kane

Hi David,

I'm wondering if you might be willing to share some specifics about
your use of R.  For example, what types of analysis have you done
with R?  Have you used pre-defined "packages" or have you "rolled
your own?"  Do you have any pointers about how to most effectively
approach learning R?  Hopefully these questions are sufficient
to give you a feel for the direction of my inquiry.

I'd be appreciative of any comments, suggestions, or insights
you are willing to share.

Thanks.

/JF