Sharing privately funded development work (was RE: [R-sig-finance] Is there an R-analog of S-Plus'simport.dta.bloomberg?)

davidr at rhotrading.com davidr at rhotrading.com
Wed Oct 20 17:06:49 CEST 2004

Other than altruism, which not so many big companies believe in minus
tax or PR advantages, the main argument I've seen work is that the
company gets future development for free from the grateful community. In
this case, however, I imagine that all people contributing to extending
a bloomberg package would themselves be in the financial industry, so
the motivation to share would be smallish, open source licensing
requirements to do so aside.
Of course, many companies participate in standards setting and similar
activities, which do not (always) directly benefit them, but do
indirectly, through ease of communication with other companies like
themselves and ease of hiring people who can step in and get to work
quickly.
Of course, Bloomberg itself wouldn't want to encourage this development
either since they are very protective of their data and analytics.
I'll not hold my breath for your company to give permission.

Thanks for the good discussion on this topic!
David