[R-sig-finance] Getting stock prices and annualized returns for common indexes

Waichler, Scott R Scott.Waichler at pnl.gov
Tue Oct 19 18:02:31 CEST 2004

Is there a way to obtain stock and mutual fund prices (previous day's
close would be fine)
from R?  Can bond prices also be obtained?  How about annualized returns
for previous calendar
year and last 3 and 5 years for major indexes such as S&P 500,
Wilshire 5000, MSCI EAFE, etc.?  I am a non-professional
who manages some family portfolios and I am looking for better ways to
access information
and compare investment results in annual reports I write using Sweave.

Thanks,
Scott Waichler
scott.waichler at pnl.gov