[R-sig-finance] How and when to USE ts and its objects?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue Oct 5 07:20:20 CEST 2004

From: Ajay Shah <ajayshah at mayin.org>
> > Does RMetrics use ITS objects or does it have its own time series objects
> > (timeDate / timeSeries Classes)?

> I'm curious about this too.

I have just been looking at the fBasics rmetrics package
(which I had neglected to mention in my list of irregular
time series packages earlier on this thread).

The timeSeries class of rmetrics uses a more sophisticated
time zone processing scheme on top of POSIXt.   One must
set their computer (Windows) or process (UNIX) to "GMT"
in order for this work.  (Somebody please correct me if I
am wrong about computer/process granularity on various OSes.)
The timeSeries class is similar to the S class of the same
name.

The timeDate class of fBasics/rmetrics provides essentially the
same time and Date functionality but on a class of its
own independent of timeSeries.  timeSeries does not actually store
times and dates using the timeDate class.