[R-sig-finance] correlation between two stock market indices

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Aug 31 12:41:56 CEST 2004

I'll summarize what I see as the key points -- most of which have
already been covered.

*)  You want to have the correlation of the returns, not the prices.
Hence you want a command similar to:

rets <- diff(log(prices))

*)  You need to be careful of asynchronous data.  In this case there
is no problem since both are American.

*)  There is minimal autocorrelation in financial returns of liquidly
traded assets.  That should be close to the least of your worries
about getting the model wrong.

*)  How correlation should be estimated depends on the use to which
it will be put.  If the time horizon of interest is long -- on the order of
two months or longer, then an ordinary sample correlation should suffice.
If the time horizon is short -- a day or a week, then a GARCH model
is going to be appropriate.

Patrick Burns

Burns Statistics
patrick at burns-stat.com