[R-sig-finance] VAR, VECM, Kalman, ... non-R software recommendations?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Aug 21 02:52:28 CEST 2004

Patrick,

Thanks for yet another very helpful post in this thread!

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 03:29:24PM -0500, Patrick Brandt wrote:
> I've been a RATS user for about 6 years (*NIX and Windows) and a Stata
> user for 10.   RATS is a great package for doing all of the standard
> econometric time series, esp VARs and VECMs.  The good thing is that it

Yes, I used it a for little bit a long time ago.

> includes pre-packaged routines for doing impulse responses,
> forecasting, and decompositions.  It is my favorite for time series,
> because it is one of the few packages that does not strive to do
> everything -- it works to do time series well.

That seems to be a consensus view.

> For basic multivariate time series modelling, RATS and Stata can do the
> job well.  I have my quibbles with both (such as Stata not having a
> well defined set of time series "objects" or methods that really
> understand how to work with ts data) and RATS "unique" syntax.  Both
> will allow you to do the standard VAR and VECM models in Hamilton or
> Johansen.
>
> That said, programming in RATS is not for the faint at heart.  Using
> the standard routines works well, but once you start doing more exotic
> things (complex, high dimensional SVARs come to mind), or posterior
> simulations for Bayesian VARs (BVARs), things get more complicated (in
> part because the RATS syntax has a combination of old fashioned Fortran
> and C declarations).  My guess is that while these can all be done in
> RATS with some degree of effort, the effort necessary to do them in
> Stata will be monumental.  I find that whenever I work in RATS I have
> to have a set of manuals nearby.
>
> For these reasons (and as part of a larger project to model
> international conflict data and political economy data), I have started
> on an R package that will estimate VARs, Bayesian VARs, and
> Markov-switching BVARs.  This is being done in R for the obvious
> reasons: 1) it is free / open source, 2) R is gaining wider use in the
> social sciences, 3) I can write the computationally intensive functions
> for the BVARs and MS-BVARs in C++ and make them very fast, and 4) the
> object, scope and method aspects of R lend themselves more easily to
> programming these models.

That sounds very intriguing too, and would complement the kalman filter code
in R's base, as well as Bernhard's urca package.

Any expected timelines?

> At present, few if any of these VAR / SVAR extensions are present in
> Stata (even with the new VAR routines they have added, one cannot
> estimate the BVAR models, or any error bands for the impulse
>
> Another option is Ox, which is open for academic use, and a reasonable
> fee for non-academic use: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/Users/Doornik/  Ox

Yes, I also looked at Ox, back when it came out and every now and then
afterwards. I find its licensing to be the most annoying -- free for you but
not for me. Weird hybrid.  That said, a possible contender in this too.

> can estimate VAR and VECM models, with many specialized addons.  Also,
> the Ox syntax is remarkably similar to C++.  There is a package for Ox
> that will do most of the state-space modeling outlined in Durbin and
> Koopman as well.

>From what Koopman said, it is actually the same codebase he contributed to
Ox, gave to Brian Ripley for R around release 1.5.0.  Zivot and Wang credit
it explicitly in the Finmetrics book.

Regards, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx