[R-sig-Fedora] Self Introduction

Tom Callaway @potrh @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 21 15:39:25 CEST 2022

Hi Ali, welcome to the SIG!

I'm not sure that adding new R module packages makes sense in EPEL. The
exponential rate of new dependencies just to be able to keep the existing
packages current in Fedora makes it incredibly painful for us to do the R
major version upgrades there (whereas, for EPEL, it's much much simpler).

Part of why I haven't had time to do the next major R update for Fedora is
this, it takes so much time to rebuild the entire R package tree there (and
as Fedora work is no longer the primary part of my day job, large multi day
efforts like this have not been easy to accomplish).

Combine that with the average R user being content to simply install via
CRAN, and I'm not sure that the pros outweigh the cons in adding modules as
packages to EPEL.

I think this is something we should discuss as a SIG though. :)

~spot