[R-sig-Fedora] rstudio-desktop notes

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Mon Apr 4 14:43:30 CEST 2022

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 at 10:18, <tim.taylor using hiddenelephants.co.uk> wrote:

>  I wonder whether it may potentially be worth putting a small note about running rstudio-desktop under Xorg rather than Wayland in the CRAN projects notes [1]? In Fedora 36 Beta under Wayland (and with the Nvidia driver) RStudio quickly becomes sluggish/non-responsive for me. I guess this could improve prior to release but thought I'd flag now in case useful.

Thanks for the report. Which version? Is this under GNOME or KDE?
(Maybe other?) There seems to be some GNOME regression that is being
discussed in the fedora-devel mailing list. It could be related, or it
could be related to the NVIDIA driver. We ship the rstudio.desktop
file with "Exec=env QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb rstudio %F". So if you launch
RStudio from your desktop menu, that should help under Wayland, in
theory. I'll try to test this when I find some time.

Iñaki

>  Tim
>
>  [1] https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/fedora/

Iñaki Úcar