[R-sig-Fedora] Changing the BLAS from openblas on a F32 box

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Wed May 27 23:46:39 CEST 2020

On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 23:03, Gavin Simpson <ucfagls using gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks (again) Iñaki.
>
> There was a typo in my reply above. I should have said: I *can't*
> answer the question re USE_LOCKING=1.

:)

> Those other suggestions are really helpful too; I really didn't
> understand what the difference was (I'm still not clear what the
> differences are between say openblas-openmp and openblas-openmp64),
> but I did get R to pass mgcv's thread safe test with both
> openblas-openmp and blis-openmp, so I have aliased those options for
> use too.

Basically, openblas has a number of features that can be enabled or
disabled: 64-bit integer support, threading and parallelization of
certain parts using openmp (as, e.g., data.table does). With the
combination of these features, we end up with many different flavors,
and all these are compiled and sub-packaged separately.

Usually, you want parallelization at the top level calling a serial
version, as mgcv does. Otherwise, you may end up with an "explosion"
of threads that is counterproductive.

--
Iñaki Úcar