[R-sig-Fedora] R 4.0.0

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Fri May 15 12:33:26 CEST 2020

On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 11:58, José Abílio Matos <jamatos using fc.up.pt> wrote:

> On Thursday, 14 May 2020 23.58.02 WEST Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> > But we still have to rebuild the packages anyway, and this setup
> > doesn't force us to actually rebuild them, nor the user to update
> > them. So a user could end up with R major.minor and a bunch of
> > packages installed in some major.minor-1 path that are just junk. Or
> > the other way around: a bunch of packages updated under major.minor+1
> > with a previous version of R.
>
> Honestly my point here was for consistency with the user settings.
> If you have per version directories for users why not to do the same for the
> system?

The rationale behind the user settings is that the user dir is not
controlled by the system, so versioning it is the only way to avoid
breakage. For the system library, there are better tools to prevent
that.

> > I mean, +1 to less boilerplate for packages, but changing the release
> > + the ABI specification is not a big deal and solves those issues. For
> > me, having a path with full version specification only makes sense if
> > there is more than one version installed at the same time, like
> > Python.
>
> That would also be a nice side effect. :-)

Are you suggesting that we should maintain several versions of R at
the same time? I don't think we want or should go down that path... :D

--
Iñaki Úcar