[R-sig-Fedora] R 4.0.0

José Abílio Matos j@m@to@ @end|ng |rom |c@up@pt
Fri May 15 00:22:36 CEST 2020

On Thursday, 14 May 2020 21.30.13 WEST Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> Mmmh... but then you have to change that in the packages' SPEC and
> rebuild them anyway when you update R. So... what's the advantage of
> this?

We already have other examples of how to do this with less steps. :-)

Create macros like

%{r_sitearch}
%{r_sitelib}

that expand with the R version being used and place them in R-rpm-macros and
change all the R srpms to use them. We can also contribute changes to srpm
generators like https://pagure.io/r2spec.

This is a one-time change.

Then when a new R version shows up it is enough to bump the release and
rebuild the package. With the added advantage that all the cobwebs and dust
are cleaned. :-)

Another advantage is that the boilerplate code required to create a srpm
package decreases. :-)

Regards,
--
José Abílio