[R-sig-Fedora] R 4.0.0

José Abílio Matos j@m@to@ @end|ng |rom |c@up@pt
Thu May 14 21:41:02 CEST 2020

On Monday, 11 May 2020 16.47.55 WEST Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> AFAIK, there's this commitment only for patch versions. In fact, the
> path for the personal library is:
>
> ~/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/<major>.<minor>/
>
> so, when you install a new minor version, you don't have any package
> in your personal library. Most of the time, for many packages, it just
> works if you copy the old packages into the new folder, but many times
> things break and reinstallation is needed. And this may happen for
> compiled packages, but also for non-compiled ones (e.g.: "Packages
> defining S4 classes with the above S3/S4 classes as slots should be
> reinstalled", in R 3.3.0).
>
> So maybe we should streamline mass rebuild of R packages, and do it
> for all minor updates. The virtual provide you proposed will force us
> to do that, and will prevent breakages and complaints.

Something that I have been wondering for some time, previous to this thread,
is why is not this the default also for system installation and not just for
users installs.

With this I mean to have the system directories to be respectively:

%{__libdir}|%{__datadir}/R<major>.<minor>

Is this due to inertia or are there other reasons. That would naturally solve
the need to rebuild for each minor release. The major point here is that would
apply not only to our packages but also for others installed using R itself.

Best regards,
--
José Abílio