[R-sig-Fedora] Fedora 29 upgrade: texlive-scheme-medium may depend on R

Iñaki Ucar iuc@r @ending from fedor@project@org
Sat Nov 10 17:26:20 CET 2018

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 at 15:17, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand using nhh.no> wrote:

> On upgrading my F28 to F29, I've found that R-core and a number of R
> packages:
>
> R-evaluate R-glue R-highr R-knitr R-magrittr R-markdown R-mime R-stringi
> R-stringr R-yaml
>
> are installed, although I only ever install R from source and always keep
> my Rs locally. So I don't use Fedora R rpms, but these were installed
> without my command.
>
> Something in texlive is doing this. A remedy is to yse rpm -r --nodeps <>
> to get rid of them, because dnf remove R-core takes out texlive too. I do
> use the RStudio rpm, but by command-line install, so it isn't the culprit.
> However, the choice of packages points to an injudicious editing of an rpm
> dependency list in some texlive package related to rmarkdown or similar.

$ dnf repoquery --tree --whatrequires R-knitr

texlive-scheme-medium installs texlive-collection-mathscience, which
installs texlive-includernw, which necessarily depends on R-knitr.

The solution is not to depend on texlive collections. Install
texlive-scheme-basic instead, plus additional packages as you need
them.

Iñaki

> I'm reporting this here in case other Fedora users are puzzled to see
> another R (or an rpm R) appearing on their systems if they also use
> texlive.
>
> If anyone has any ideas about resolving this properly, I'd be grateful (it
> isn't the best way to spread the use of R among Fedora texlive users IMO).
> Unfortunately, DNF/RPM and likely other packaging systems have issues
> detecting user-installed programs like R, so trying "R RHOME" isn't going
> to work when say ~/bin is where R lives. Almost certainly, the texlive
> component should not be included in any scheme groups.
>
> I would CC RStudio, but support does not expose an email, so I'm CC-ing
> the rmarkown maintainer.
>
> Roger
>
> --
> Roger Bivand
> Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
> voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: Roger.Bivand using nhh.no
> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140

Iñaki Úcar