[R-sig-Fedora] RHEL6.5 cluster system library and home library

Hamidi, Bashir hamidib at musc.edu
Fri Jun 23 16:41:51 CEST 2017

System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)

I’m working on a RHEL6.5 cluster with no EPEL or root access to install EPEL.

I have installed zlib 1.2.11 (and other necessary libraries) in my home directory.
Problem is the cluster has an older zlib library (1.2.4) and R does not accept that. How can I force configure to look in my home/[username]/packages/lib for zlib?

[username at hpcc3 R-3.4.0]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/[username]/packages --with-x=no --with-readline=no --includedir=/home/[username]/packages/include –libdir=/home/[username]/packages/lib

checking for inflateInit2_ in -lz... yes

checking zlib.h usability... yes

checking zlib.h presence... yes

checking for zlib.h... yes

checking if zlib version >= 1.2.5... no

checking whether zlib support suffices... configure: error: zlib library and headers are required