[R-sig-Fedora] rgl

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Thu Jan 12 09:36:09 CET 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 19:49 +0000, Weiner, Michael wrote:
> I have a Fedora linux 24 64bit workstation I am trying to install rgl
> on and I keep running into this error:
>
> trying URL 'https://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/src/contrib/rgl_0.97.0.tar.
> gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2369444 bytes (2.3 MB)
> downloaded 2.3 MB
>
> * installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
> ** package 'rgl' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked checking
> for gcc... gcc -m64 checking whether the C compiler works... yes
> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out checking
> for suffix of executables...
> checking whether we are cross compiling... no checking for suffix of
> object files... o checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler...
> yes checking whether gcc -m64 accepts -g... yes checking for gcc -m64
> option to accept ISO C89... none needed checking how to run the C
> preprocessor... gcc -m64 -E checking for gcc... (cached) gcc -m64
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
> checking whether gcc -m64 accepts -g... (cached) yes checking for gcc
> -m64 option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed checking
> whether __attribute__((visibility())) is supported... yes checking
> whether gcc -m64 accepts -fvisibility... yes checking
> whether  accepts -fvisibility... no checking for libpng-config... yes
> configure: using libpng-config
> configure: using libpng dynamic linkage
> checking for X... libraries , headers
> checking GL/gl.h usability... yes
> checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
> checking for GL/gl.h... yes
> checking GL/glu.h usability... yes
> checking GL/glu.h presence... yes
> checking for GL/glu.h... yes
> checking for glEnd in -lGL... no
> configure: error: missing required library GL
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'
> * removing '/usr/lib64/R/library/rgl'
>
> The downloaded source packages are in
>         '/tmp/Rtmp0VF17F/downloaded_packages'
> Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
> Making 'packages.html' ... done
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("rgl") :
>   installation of package 'rgl' had non-zero exit status
>
> As you can see, it finds the GL headers, but fails on glEnd and then
> complains it cannot find the GL libraries. I have the mesa-libGL
> mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU mesa-libGLU-devel packages installed but
> I still get the errors.
>
> Any thoughts?

One possibility is that you have the 32-bit version of mesa-libGL-devel
installed. This will provide the headers but not the 64-bit library
which is what you need (I can see this from the compiler flag -m64).

If that is not the problem then you need to look at the configure log.
The log is normally erased, but you can preserve it by unpacking the
source tarball and building from the resulting directory on the command
line:

tar xfvz rgl_0.97.0.tar.gz
R CMD INSTALL rgl

Then open the file 'rgl/config.log' with your favourite editor and
search for "glEnd".

Martyn