[R-sig-Fedora] Compiling R-3.3.0 and/or R-3.3.1 with custom location for dependencies like zlib

Syagin, Fedor fs2307 at cumc.columbia.edu
Tue Jul 5 18:52:49 CEST 2016

Greetings.
Sorry I am a bit new to this list.
I am trying to compile R-3.3.0 and/or R-3.3.1 on computational cluster running Centos 6.6
I have custom installation of zlib 1.2.8 , but it's not in default /lib /usr/lib /usr/include location and configure script keeps failing when looking for it.
It doesn't seem to care if correct zlib.h is in path and always seems to find one in /usr/include

In the past we build R and put in nfs share that used by about 400 nodes to do computation.
This is first time we having issue with compilation process. zlib dependencies right now are on the same share.

Is there any way to point configure script to the right location for the prerequisite?
So far I see people mostly end up using package system, that might not so well for our environment.

Sincerely yours Fedor