[R-sig-Fedora] Hi Guyz !

Roger Bivand roger.bivand at nhh.no
Sat Feb 13 12:42:53 CET 2016

Jules Bashizi <jbi.octave at ...> writes:

> I run R on a Fedora 23 64bit ,
>
> I encounter this problem
>
> *WARNING: no proj_defs.dat in PROJ.4 shared files Linking to sp version:
> 1.2-2 *

When this person posted simulatneously on the PROJ4 issues on github, I
replied that his problem is a defective PROJ4 rpm (4.9.0 and 4.9.1 were
released without an important metadata file in the source, so packagers also
missed it).

That reply is at:

https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/351#issuecomment-183581132

> when trying  to load library("rgdal",
> lib.loc="~/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.2") and also ogr .
>
> can any one help me in fixing this issue please

Simple googling for proj_defs.dat, or installing PROJ 4.9.2, would have
solved the problem, but the OP has chosen to splatter multiple poorly chosen
places with poorly formed questions.

For Windows and OSX CRAN binaries, we can do (and did) handholding for this
upstream blunder, but users installing from source do need to watch their
external dependencies.

Resolution as given on github: install the missing file by hand, or upgrade
PROJ to 4.9.2

Roger

PS. The subject line is about as non-informative as possible, and the post
was HTML - read the posting guide?