[R-sig-Fedora] [R] Building R-3.2.0 from source.

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Mon May 11 11:08:31 CEST 2015

On Monday 11 May 2015 19:42:53 Rolf Turner wrote:
> It certainly did!  Success.  Thank you hugely!
>
> But if I may ask a supplementary question:  You say "If you really want
> to build from source ....".  No, I don't *want* to; I have to.  At least
> in my understanding.  I run the ancient and beyond end-of-life Fedora
> 17.  (I haven't the nerve to try to upgrade; my current system may be
> kludgey, but at least it works.  And I *know* that if I try to upgrade
> all hell will break loose.)  It is my understanding that "current Fedora
> releases" *do not* include Fedora 17.  Or do they?
> If so, how would I get my hands on an R binary for Fedora 17?

The list of supported versions is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases

In short each version is supported for one month after the release of version N+2.

That means in particular that as soon as Fedora 22 is released Fedora will be supported one more month.

> That's really just an academic question at present, since I have now
> managed, thanks to your help, to build R 3.2.0 from source.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner

If you prefer a short release cycle a reasonable approach is CentOS where R is packaged in the EPEL repositories, that belong the Fedora infrastructure.

Regards,
--
José Abílio