[R-sig-Fedora] Centos / Fedora rpm - issue with openblas

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Mon Jun 16 16:16:26 CEST 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-16 at 09:50 -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 06/16/2014 09:38 AM, Martyn Plummer wrote:
> > Something like the previous behaviour could be put in place by adding
> > the option --enable-BLAS-shlib when R is configured. Then libRblas.so
> > will be built as before. However, this libRblas will not contain a copy
> > of the reference blas that comes with R. Instead it will be just be a
> > stub that redirects BLAS calls to the external BLAS library. (NB You
> > must also use --enable-R-shlib for this to work, but this is the case
> > for the Fedora SRPM so not a problem).
> >
> > This option gives you the best of both worlds. However, such a change
> > would have to wait until the next major release of R.
>
> I think we'd enable such a change if it were supported in R.

Sorry I'm not being clear. This option already exists. I just tested it.

But if you push an update of the R 3.1.0 RPM you might break R packages
that need blas and which are already installed by users. This also
applies to future R 3.1.1 since it will use the same personal package
library (e.g. ~/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.1) . Hence my
suggestion to wait for the next major release of R to make the change.

However, I might be wrong about that. You certainly can't get rid of
libRblas if it exists, but you might be able to add a stub libRblas
without affecting packages that are already installed.